Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pink & Black Cake

I created this cake for a friend's birthday.  The cake is covered in black fondant with pink fondant ribbons and a black and pink fondant ball border.  The flowers are made from gum paste with fondant centers dipped in edible black glitter.  Pink and black are the birthday girl's favorite colors and they worked really well together on this cake.  I coated my work surface with powdered sugar to roll out the black fondant and ended up with quite a bit of powdered sugar still on the cake.  I had seen a decorator use vodka to wipe down a black fondant cake on one of the cake shows I watch on Food Network to remove the powdered sugar.  The alcohol evaporates and leaves the cake powdered sugar free.  I tried it on this cake and it worked great!  I will definitely be using that trick on future cakes!  

I took a few pictures before writing on the cake...just in case I screwed it up!  I always add the writing last and it makes me very nervous!  I've seen too many professional decorators screw up spellings, etc...on cakes featured on http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com!


Pink and Black Cake

Pink and Black Cake

Pink and Black Cake

1 comment: